Spiders (Araneae) are air-breathing exoskeletons with eight legs, mouths with fangs that can generally inject venom. Spiders are hunters, and they use their fangs to inject venom to their prey and victims. They look scary, but they kill a lot of pests and small insects that infest our homes. Well, bites from siders need precautions. This list of convenient home remedies for spider bites will help you find the best solution.
Table of Contents
- 1 Know More About Spiders!!!
- 2 How to Identify The Spider?
- 3 How To Prevent Spider Bites?
- 4 Symptoms Of a Spider Bite
- 5 What to Do First In Case of a Spider Bite?
- 6 Home Remedies For Spider Bites
Know More About Spiders!!!
Spider bites are rare and mostly harmless and also do not always require medical attention. Spider bites do not cause someone to turn into Spiderman! One should know better than that. Some spider bites can be extremely painful, but most cause a mild stinging sensation cured by simple home remedies for spider bites.
How to Identify The Spider?
There are more than 43,000 different spider species globally, but the spiders who bite human skin are an extreme minority. Here are common spiders known to bite humans:
- Black Widow: It is a black-colored spider with two marks shaped like a triangular, which forms a reddish hourglass shape down its back.
- Brown Recluse: It is a brown spider with a dark violin-shaped mark on its head. It has six eyes.
- Tarantula: It is a hairy spider, 3 inches long, and is either black or brown.
How To Prevent Spider Bites?
- Sealing cracks and crevices present in homes, especially in corners.
- Placing glue traps behind doors.
- Keeping one’s environment clean, especially those rooms which are not infrequent rooms like attic and storage.
- Avoid storing empty cardboard boxes.
- Wearing long sleeves while doing outdoor or yard work.
- Ensure a clutter-free environment and proper sanitation.
- Clothes, blankets, shoes, curtains, etc., should be shaken first before use.
- Avoid roaming without any footwear.
- Use insecticides in corners and nooks.
You can check simple remedies for a blocked nose problem.
Symptoms Of a Spider Bite
Spider bites do not produce any features that can be easily identified or correctly diagnosed.
They look very similar to usual insect bites, bacterial or other infections. CIt may take 30 mins to almost 2 hours or even longer before one starts to feel any spider bite effects. One has to pay close attention to symptoms to identify them correctly.
- Tiny puncture wounds in pair
- Numbness in the area
- Red or purple ring around the wound
- Muscle cramps
- Difficulty in breathing
- Restlessness or Anxiety
- High blood levels
- Poor coordination
- Visual or hearing problems
What to Do First In Case of a Spider Bite?
There are few essential dos’ one should immediately do in case of a spider bite. They are as follows: –
- Stay Calm
- Wash the area with soap and water.
- Use clean towels to dry them.
- Avoid scratching.
- Apply clean icepacks to the area for 10-15 mins.
Home remedies for spider bites
Not all bites and stings are the same. Some species are dangerous, so it is crucial to identify and appropriately use home remedies or provide medical attention. One can provide proper first-aid treatment by following the steps mentioned below: –
- Wash the area with soap and water.
- Place an ice pack to reduce swelling and provide relief to irritation and stinging.
- Apply calamine lotion or baking soda paste to reduce itching and pain.
If the bite looks severe and is causing severe symptoms, one must run for medical attention immediately.
Home Remedies For Spider Bites
However, less severe spider bites can be cured using simple home remedies for spider bites. Mentioned below are some of the comfortable home remedies one can go for in case of spider bites.
Ice Pack or Cold Compress:
One should first go for a cold compress or an ice pack to reduce irritation and provide relief to the wound. Use an ice pack for 10 minutes in intervals until pain and irritation subside.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can provide relief. The paste is used in a variety of ways like paste, dry, capsule, or powder. One can apply it to wound to relieve burning sensations.
Aloe vera has antibacterial and antioxidant properties that help to reduce swelling and pain. It is one of the essential home remedies for spider bites as it is available easily.
Baking soda is beneficial as it reduces irritation and inflammation. It helps reduce further infection in the wound. To reduce redness, make a paste with baking soda and water, apply it, and wash it.
Salt has antiseptic properties. Although it may burn at first, it provides relief and heals the wound after one applies it for a significant time.
Potatoes have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the burning sensation produced by the stings of a spider. It is a comfortable home remedy for spider bites. First, grate the potatoes and use gauze or a bandage to apply it to the wound. Using it two times daily is helpful.
Lavender oil is helpful because of its natural properties. Applying it to the wound helps in reducing pain and swelling.
It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain and ensures fast healing. Using it 3-4 times daily has proven to be of significant help.
Aspirin neutralizes the venom and reduces swelling and pain. Firstly, make a paste crushing the tablets and water and apply it to the wound for 2 hours. Repeat the process until the symptom wears off.
Lemon Juice helps reducing itching, swelling, and inflammation. As it is natural citrus, it controls the spreading of rashes.
While using these remedies, one should keep in mind their allergies, but they can provide relief to the wound apart from that.
Final Verdict of Home remedies for spider bites
So, here were some home remedies for spider bites. In another way, they are widespread to find and use. With natural healing properties, they are suitable for all skin time. Moreover, using these common home remedies for spider bites reduces pain, swelling, rashes, future infections, and inflammation.
You might also like to check out – home remedies for thrush.
However, it is always better to take necessary precautions to avoid spider bites, but just in case, one must not lose control and remain calm and use home remedies for spider bites, as mentioned. They will provide relief and protect one’s wound. So, be smart and be safe than sorry. After all, “Precaution is better than cure”.