What do I do if my dog eats chocolate?

What do I do if my dog eats chocolate?

If you think your pooch might’ve eaten chocolate — especially the darker kinds — call your vet right away. They’ll ask about your dog’s size, what kind of chocolate they ate, and how much. They might want you to make your dog vomit or simply watch their behavior, says vet Tina Wismer, DVM.

Should I give my dog hydrogen peroxide if he ate chocolate?

Do not give your dog more Hydrogen Peroxide to try and induce vomiting. Regardless of if you get your dog to vomit or not after he eats chocolate, you will still need to get in touch with your vet or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control hotline at 1-888-426-4435 for further instructions.

What happens if a dog eats a piece of chocolate?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, as it contains a chemical called theobromine, which can cause elevated heart rates, increased blood pressure, and even seizures. Dogs who have eaten chocolate must be treated immediately, as the larger the amount of chocolate and the longer it is in their system, the more danger there is for your pet.

How long does it take for dog to show signs of chocolate poisoning?

If you think your dog ate chocolate, don’t wait for warning signs, Wismer says. These can take 6 to 12 hours to show up.

How long does theobromine last after dog eats chocolate?

The length of the hospitalization will depend on how much chocolate he ate, what symptoms he is showing, and the severity of the symptoms. Usually he will be kept until the theobromine has left his system. Theobromine has a half life of 7 ½ hours.

Is it OK to give your dog milk chocolate?

Even though small amounts of milk chocolate may not cause a problem in larger dogs, it’s still not recommended that pet owners offer their dog chocolate as a treat. To prevent your dog from sneaking chocolate, follow these tips:

What do you do when your dog eats chocolate?

What to do if your dog eats chocolate. Depending on the size of your dog, the type of chocolate your dog ate and how much, your dog may need to be treated. If you suspect your dog had too much chocolate, you will want to induce vomiting in your dog and give him a dose of activated charcoal to help decontaminate your dog’s blood.

What happens when a dog eats too much chocolate?

The signs to watch out for if your dog has eaten too much chocolate include: Increased excitability / irritability. Increased heart rate. Restlessness. Vomiting. Increased urination. Muscle tremors. Severe intoxication, seizures, cardiac arrest and death can occur.

How fast will chocolate kill a dog?

Turns out the legitimate answer to how long it takes before chocolate can start to really kill a dog, is around 6 hours.

How does a dog react when eating chocolate?

If your dog eats chocolate in lower doses, digestive upset such as vomiting and diarrhea may occur. This can happen immediately or may even happen the next day. In higher doses, more severe symptoms will occur. You dog may appear restless and irritable.